Friday, September 11, 2009

The Inconspicuous Consumer no. 1: Anatomy of a Commuter Bike

I love stuff, so this portion of the blog will be devoted to all the stuff in my life. I hope also to give some advice for anyone considering similar purchases so you can make the smartest decision. First: my bike. Click the picture for the full anatomy.



The bike was a craigslist find, about $45 as a fully complete bike. The 1987 World Sport is a Reynolds 4130 steel frame with Dia Compe brakes, Sugino cranks, and Shimano gearing. I've done the fixed gear conversion thing. I stayed with the 27" size (generic Sunrims from the LBS) so I wouldn't have to change the front wheel too. I had the bottom bracket and front hub rebuilt since this thing sat in a guy's garage essentially since 1987. I also installed a new seat post for a better fit. So, my suggestion to anyone in the market for a good commuter: get an old steel frame, get comfortable grips (I have gel pads plus handlebar tape), install a rack, and choose your favorite drivetrain. Sell off the discarded parts, too. Vintage road bike parts are pretty hot right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment